^

Headlines

28 witnesses to testify in probe of Romualdez

Daphne Galvez - The Philippine Star
28 witnesses to testify in probe of Romualdez
In a statement, the ombudsman yesterday dismissed as a “classic pressure tactic” the reported recantation of witnesses who earlier claimed having delivered suitcases filled with money to Romualdez and other government officials.
Sen. Ping Lacson via Facebook

Despite Guteza’s recantation

MANILA, Philippines —  The Office of the Ombudsman still has 28 witnesses who can provide material information linking former speaker Martin Romualdez to the flood control scandal – despite the recantation of Orly Guteza, a retired Marine and former security aide to fugitive lawmaker Zaldy Co.

In a statement, the ombudsman yesterday dismissed as a “classic pressure tactic” the reported recantation of witnesses who earlier claimed having delivered suitcases filled with money to Romualdez and other government officials.

“There’s nothing new to recantations in high-profile cases. It’s classic pressure tactic. An investigation doesn’t revolve around a witness or several witnesses,” the ombudsman said.

It did not name the 28 witnesses, but it said some of them are active uniformed personnel.

The ombudsman vowed to continue its investigation despite the recantation of Guteza and the others.

“Anyone who dares block, obstruct, or disrupt the proceedings of the ombudsman will face the full force of the law. The quest for truth will never stop even if no one speaks out,” it said.

In an affidavit dated Aug. 13, Guteza recanted his allegation against Co and Romualdez, saying he had no personal knowledge of the alleged deliveries of “maleta” (suitcases) to Co’s Valle Verde property and to Romualdez’s residence in Forbes Park.

He said Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former congressman Mike Defensor – both detained for plunder – offered him money for his family in exchange for fabricating a story linking Co and Romualdez to the flood control scandal.

He said he agreed to the scheme “out of fear and anxiety” and after being lured by the “sweet promises” of financial and educational aid. Marcoleta even assured him that his testimony would be the “missing link” that would pin down Romualdez.

Guteza said he first met Defensor and Marcoleta at a Japanese restaurant in Pasay City on Sept. 24, 2025, a day before he testified before the Senate Blue Ribbon committee.

He said Defensor pressured him into claiming having witnessed money, supposedly from the Department of Public Works and Highways, being transported to Co’s residence.

Marcoleta, meanwhile, allegedly personally edited the draft affidavit using the laptop of Defensor’s son-in-law to refine Tagalog translations and sharpen the allegations, Guteza said.

‘Ad-libbing’

When he testified before the Senate committee, the former Marine also recalled being scolded by Marcoleta for “ad-libbing” instead of strictly following the prepared script.

After his testimony, Guteza said he realized he had been abandoned by both Marcoleta and Defensor.

Guteza also said Marcoleta’s office contacted him and gave him the phone number of a certain “Attorney Guanzon” who would prepare an affidavit that would be used to file a case. He said he did not contact the number to avoid “being used again.”

Even before Guteza’s recantation, four former bodyguards of Co had already recanted their testimonies against Romualdez and several other lawmakers.

Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano earlier said the four witnesses have yet to formally submit their alleged recantations to the anti-graft body, but the documents were attached to Romualdez’s counter-affidavit.

Destabilization

Malacañang described as “concerning” Guteza’s decision to recant his earlier statement, saying it unmasked efforts to manufacture stories and use false witnesses to cause “destabilization.”

“If you ask the Palace, the implication we see is there are several attempts to create fake stories to destroy anyone they wish to destroy. And one of the several possible reasons is destabilization,” Palace press officer Claire Castro said.

“So this is somewhat worrisome because it will destroy our justice system. It will also destroy the faith of our countrymen because several false information, fake information will be floated, fake news, false information that affect the truth,” she added.

Castro called for a probe on Guteza’s claims, saying peddling of falsehoods and planting of evidence should not be tolerated.

“Now that someone has admitted that he was just used to tell false stories about a person, it has to be investigated to determine who should face charges, who is the mastermind behind those kinds of scenario. It is now in the hands of the ombudsman, the DOJ (Department of Justice) and other investigating bodies,” she added.

Castro urged the public not to be enticed by offers that would involve tarnishing the reputation of innocent persons.

“But if you know the truth, you may come out and help the government so we can hold into account those who should be accountable,” she said.

Not surprised

Reacting to Guteza’s recantation, Sen. Panfilo Lacson said he was not surprised by the retired Marine’s claim that he had been coached by Marcoleta.

“Since it’s on record in the Blue Ribbon committee hearing that Guteza was a coached witness of Marcoleta – and it’s live. So it’s not surprising that he would later recant,” Lacson said.

“The recantations of the ‘maleta boys’ have become ‘one dime a dozen,’ so it’s not surprising that the original ‘maleta boy’ a.k.a basura (garbage) Orly Guteza would also retract,” the senator said. Guteza had called the kickbacks “basura” or trash in his Blue Ribbon testimony.

Lacson said Guteza and the other “Maleta boys” had wrongly thought they would benefit  from the flood control mess through their fabricated testimonies.

“Sa lingguahe ng mga mandurugas (In scammer’s parlance), ‘lagareng hapon’ yata ang tawag nila diyan - doble-kita, or 40-40 vision,” he said.

Lacson earlier noted during the Blue Ribbon inquiry he chaired that Marcoleta appeared to be coaching Guteza.

He also cited Senate CCTV records showing Guteza entering Marcoleta’s office for half an hour before appearing at the hearing.- Marc Jayson Cayabyab, Alexis Romero

MARTIN ROMUALDEZ

ZALDY CO

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with