^

Headlines

No more factionalism at Comelec — Abalos

- Sandy Araneta -
The days of factionalism in the Commission on Elections (Comelec) are over.

This was the proud proclamation made by newly appointed Comelec Chairman Benjamin Abalos following a meeting yesterday with five commissioners as well as the man he replaced – the central figures in the internal bickering and disputes within the poll body.

"They are all sincere in setting aside their differences," said Abalos, former chairman of the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA).

Following the announcement of his appointment as the new Comelec chairman in place of Alfredo Benipayo last Tuesday, Abalos said his first order of business would be to remove factionalism in the poll body.

He pointed out that the task of resolving the problem of disunity in the Comelec pales in comparison with what he had to go through in the MMDA, where he had to deal with 17 Metro Manila city and municipal mayors.

Abalos paid a surprise visit to the Comelec main office in Intramuros, Manila yesterday as five of the six commissioners were conducting their bi-weekly en banc meeting.

Present were Commissioners Resurreccion Borra, Rufino Javier, Mehol Sadain, Luzviminda Tancangco and Florentino Tuason. Commissioner Ralph Lantion was on official business and could not attend the meeting.

Javier, Lantion, Sadain and Tancangco, all appointed during the Estrada administration, made up the faction opposed to Benipayo. Borra and Tuason, the former Comelec chief’s allies, had been reappointed by President Arroyo last June 11.

During his visit to the Comelec office, Abalos inspected the rooms of the commissioners as well as that of Benipayo, who was having his things moved out from the chairman’s office at the Palacio del Gobernador building. Abalos later met with the five commissioners and Benipayo at the conference room.

Abalos is expected to take his oath of office on Monday and will assume office as chief of the poll body on Tuesday.

An executive session is also scheduled on Tuesday, where he would be discussing with the commissioners and senior staff member key issues, including the modernization program.

Abalos stressed that he respects security of tenure and would likely retain most people in office, including Benipayo’s staff. Only those in confidential positions would likely be replaced.

The new Comelec chief said he has ceased to be a member of the ruling Lakas-NUCD party following the release of his appointment papers last June 5.

vuukle comment

ABALOS

ALFREDO BENIPAYO

BENIPAYO

BORRA AND TUASON

COMELEC

COMELEC CHAIRMAN BENJAMIN ABALOS

COMMISSIONER RALPH LANTION

COMMISSIONERS RESURRECCION BORRA

LUZVIMINDA TANCANGCO AND FLORENTINO TUASON

MEHOL SADAIN

METRO MANILA

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with