Homeowners affected by power project get aid —
CEBU, Philippines — At least 19 homeowners in Barangay Tabok, Mandaue City, received financial assistance from the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) as their properties will be affected by the construction of the Cebu-Lapu-Lapu 230-kilovolt (kV) transmission line project.
In an interview last Friday, August 21, NGCP government relations and regional affairs lead specialist for the Cebu-Bohol area Michael Ortega Ligalig, said the project will help strengthen and ensure a reliable power supply to Mactan Island.
The Cebu-Lapu-Lapu Interconnection Project includes a submarine cable from Barangay Umapad in Mandaue City to Barangay Pusok in Lapu-Lapu City.
The project will also have an overhead transmission line that will traverse Mandaue City, including Barangay Tabok.
Ligalig said Mactan Island currently relies on an underground cable for its power supply.
He said NGCP is ensuring there will be a submarine cable, or a line from the sea, and an overhead transmission line to provide a reliable power supply.
“Makasiguro ta nga duna nay another source of power going to Mactan Island para ma-reliable ang atong source,” Ligalig said.
In a separate interview, Housing and Urban Development Office (HUDO) Executive Assistant Ramy Inopiquez said it took a long time to resolve the concerns of residents of Barangay Tabok regarding the project.
The portion of Barangay Tabok where the transmission tower will be installed covers less than 1,000 square meters.
Inopiquez said NGCP informed the residents that their houses would be traversed by its equipment and the transmission line once construction begins.
“Kuyaw og mahog ang linya, dako kaayo na og voltage and mamatay g’yud diretso og maigo sa linya,” Inopiquez said.
He said residents had objected to the project in 2021, which eventually led to a court case.
NGCP filed an expropriation case, but in the middle of the proceedings, the parties reached an amicable settlement, with the affected residents agreeing to receive financial assistance for houses that would be affected by the transmission line project.
Last Thursday, August 20, financial assistance was released to the homeowners whose houses would be affected.
Aside from payment for the affected houses, Inopiquez said HUDO asked NGCP to provide a disturbance fee.
Inopiquez said the request was based on the Urban Development and Housing Act (UDHA), particularly Article 7, Section 28, which provides for a disturbance fee under guidelines covering eviction and demolition practices affecting underprivileged and homeless citizens.
With this, NGCP granted the request and provided ?31,000 on top of the cost of housing materials that were damaged. The cost was based on current prices regardless of the year the structures were built.
“Maong igo-igo sad, dili ‘tawn magmahay ang mga tao kay gibayran man silag tarong sa NGCP,” said Inopiquez.
Under the arrangement, the homeowners were responsible for dismantling their houses. However, NGCP gave them a deadline to complete the dismantling after receiving the financial assistance.
The homeowners were given 24 hours to finish dismantling their houses. If they could not complete the work within the deadline, NGCP would take over the dismantling and cleanup.
He said materials that could still be reused would be set aside so the residents could retrieve them.
“Pwede ipatimbang nila or gamiton sad og naa na silay makit-an nga lugar na ilang balhinan,” said Inopiquez.
Inopiquez said HUDO is monitoring the situation, adding that Mayor Thadeo Jovito Ouano instructed them not to force the residents to leave and instead respect their decision.
“Based sa Human Rights law, dili nato pwersaon ang mga tao, ang ilang kabubut-on ang agdon,” he said.
Inopiquez said that while the residents had already accepted the financial assistance, some opted to move to a lot nearby.
Meanwhile, at least six homeowners will be assisted and accommodated by HUDO.
Aside from Barangay Tabok, at least 40 houses in Barangay Paknaan will also be affected by the project. Unlike the residents of Barangay Tabok, the residents of Barangay Paknaan said they wouldn’t accept financial assistance without relocation.
Inopiquez said the residents want the government to provide relocation, which the city is currently working on.
“Among gitahod ilang decision,” said Inopiquez.
Inopiquez said the residents wouldn’t accept the money unless they are provided with a place to relocate.
“Kay unsaon man daw kuno na ang kwarta mahurot dayon,” he said.
Inopiquez said HUDO explained to NGCP that the residents shouldn’t be rushed and given several months to make arrangements.
He said HUDO is working on a relocation site that could materialize next month so the affected residents can be accommodated.
“Within Mandaue sad ba kay kasabot man sad mi sa mga tao, nga og mamahawa di sad na musugot nga gawas sa Mandaue kay naa man ilang panginabuhi diri,” said Inopiquez.
Inopiquez said forcing the residents to leave would only cause the problem to recur.
“Imong papahawaon, mobalik ra gihapon na sila sa lugar kay diri man nanginabuhi,” said Inopiquez.
Meanwhile, Kim Tabanas, one of the Barangay Tabok residents, said her family has lived in the area for almost 40 years.
She said that while their court battle began in 2021, they eventually agreed to accept the financial assistance after losing the case, saying it was better than receiving a smaller amount.
She added that they also understood the need for the project because of the power supply situation in the area.
“Nasabtan namo kay ang kuryente sige na og ka-brownout, maong gipasabot nalang g’yud ang mga tao,” she said. (CEBU NEWS)
- Latest




















