Cebu tightens schools security

CEBU, Philippines — Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro has ordered heightened security measures in schools across the province following a shooting incident in Zamboanga City Tuesday morning.
In a Facebook post, Baricuatro said she had directed the Cebu Police Provincial Office (CPPO) to inspect all public and private schools and increase police visibility.
She also ordered the deployment of police officers to schools through a “one-police-to-school deployment scheme” down to the city and municipal levels.
“The safety and security of our students, teachers, and school personnel remain among our foremost priorities,” Baricuatro said.
“We must remain vigilant and united in protecting our children. Our schools should be safe spaces for learning, growth, and hope, and the Provincial Government of Cebu will continue to work with the police, schools, and communities to safeguard our students and ensure their safety,’ the governor added.
Mandaue steps up security
The Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO) has also strengthened security measures in schools across the city.
Mandaue City Police Director Police Colonel Cirilo Acosta Jr. said the MCPO has been coordinating with the Mandaue City Government, Department of Education (DepEd), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs) and the Liga ng mga Barangay to ensure the safety of students.
Acosta said the MCPO has accounted for 89 schools in Mandaue, with 83 police personnel deployed daily to provide security assistance.
He clarified that the number of deployed personnel is lower than the total number of schools because some schools share the same gate or are located within the same compound, allowing one police officer to cover more than one school.
Police personnel are stationed at schools as early as 6 a.m. during students’ arrival and remain on duty until as late as 7 p.m. during dismissal.
The 83 personnel are administrative patrollers who perform security assistance duties in schools on top of their regular responsibilities. They complement regular MCPO personnel, including beat patrollers, mobile patrollers and tactical motorcycle-riding units.
“We asked assistance from all stakeholders primarily because di kaya sa kapulisan nga kami-kami,” Acosta said.
Barangay officials, the Mandaue Traffic Enforcement Agency (TEAM) and school security guards also help augment police presence in schools, he said.
Acosta said the city police will formalize the cooperation through a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the city government, DepEd, CHED, PTAs and the Liga ng mga Barangay next week.
The MOU will outline the responsibilities of each participating office, including the police’s immediate response to emergencies and direct communication with school principals.
Camera link
Amid the recent incident, Acosta also encouraged schools to connect their mobile cameras to the MCPO Command Center.
He said the setup allows police to monitor school premises even after deployed personnel have completed their duties.
The command center has a 24-hour real-time connection with participating schools. School guards can report incidents directly through the system using school-provided mobile phones connected to the police command center.
Acosta said the system has been in place for about a month and has proven useful to police patrols.
“This is the best way nga nakita namo nga initiative, it's been useful sa among patrollers and I think this will be useful for schools also,” he said.
The MCPO is also aligning the schedules of its beat patrollers with students’ arrival and dismissal times to increase police visibility around schools.
“Mag tinabangay sila, mudaghan ang police sa schools,” Acosta said.
Despite the heightened security measures, Acosta said the MCPO has not received any report of a specific threat against schools in Mandaue.
“So far, so good, wala ra,” he said.
NBI seeks school participation
Meanwhile, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-7 is encouraging schools to participate in its free lectures and information drives aimed at raising awareness and strengthening school safety.
Despite the offer of free lectures, however, no public school has reportedly taken up the NBI-7’s offer, with only private schools responding to the initiative.
NBI-7 spokesperson Agent Maria Contessa Lastimoso said the agency had sent letters to several public schools in Cebu City, including Abellana, Lahug, Zapatera and Guadalupe, inviting them to participate in the school information drive. The schools, however, have yet to communicate with the agency.
The NBI-7 initiative comes amid renewed concern over school safety following the shootings at San Jose National High School in Tacloban City two months ago and the latest at Ateneo de Zamboanga on Tuesday.
Initial information indicated that two security guards and two high school students were killed, while nine students were seriously wounded.
The alleged shooter, identified by the surname Jalani, was reportedly a male fourth-year high school student and among the top students in his class. A Glock 9mm pistol and an M16 assault rifle were reportedly used in the shooting.
The father of the alleged shooter worked at the Zamboanga City Customs Office. — (FREEMAN)
- Latest



















