DOH pushes to reverse low vax rate
CEBU, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) is pushing for the expansion of vaccination sites and information campaigns as it intensifies efforts to increase the number of children protected against measles and rubella in Central Visayas.
DOH Secretary Edwin Mercado visited the Measles-Rubella Supplemental Immunization Activity at the Barangay Banilad Daycare Center in Mandaue City Tuesday, where he inspected the vaccination site and observed the ongoing immunization activity.
Mercado said the DOH is encouraging the establishment of more vaccination sites outside health centers to make immunization more accessible to parents and children.
Based on DOH data, only 11 percent of the target population in Central Visayas had been vaccinated since the supplemental immunization activity against measles and rubella started.
Central Visayas currently has the lowest vaccination accomplishment among the regions conducting the supplemental immunization activity.
Mercado said the DOH would strengthen its information and education campaign in barangays to address fake news and misinformation about vaccination.
Doctors from the DOH, along with personnel from city and municipal health offices, are expected to conduct house-to-house information campaigns to answer parents’ questions and concerns about the vaccination program.
The DOH is also promoting mall-based vaccination activities for parents who may not be able to bring their children to health centers or daycare centers.
Mercado stressed the importance of addressing parents’ concerns and providing accurate information to encourage them to have their children vaccinated and protected against measles and rubella.
The event was also attended by Mandaue City Lone District Representative Emmarie “Lolypop” Ouano-Dizon and Mandaue City Mayor Jonkie Ouano.
Cebu City turnout low
In Cebu City, the measles-rubella vaccination campaign is also struggling to meet its target of immunizing 90,000 children aged 6 to 59 months, with only about 9,000 vaccinated in the first week of implementation.
Mayor Nestor Archival’s chief of staff, Kenneth Siasar, confirmed the figures, acknowledging the low turnout but noting that the city’s campaign would continue through 2028.
“So far, sa atong first week of implementation, ang atong na-immunize lang mga noybi mil.. That’s only 10% sa atong target noh? That’s nine thousand,” Siasar said.
He added that as of August 15, 486 parents had refused vaccination, a number the city is closely monitoring. Siasar said misinformation remains the biggest hurdle to the campaign.
“Kulang sa information and then wa kaabot sa ilaha ang information drive sa DOH and CHD, mao nga atahado sila. Imbes makakuha silay sakto nga information sa right agency, sa right institution, naka-kuha silag di mao nga information sa silingan nga uy, ayaw na, madisgrasya ka ana,” he said.
He stressed that no adverse incidents have been reported.
“So far, no. Wa gyud ta. Ug di gyud siguro ta makadawat ug tawo because of that,” he assured, emphasizing that vaccines remain safe when properly refrigerated at the City Health Department.
The campaign was launched at one of the city’s malls to highlight transparency and reassure the public.
“Mao bitaw na nga sa pag launching nato, didto sa SM aron makita sa publiko nga we are doing this, nga safe ni siya,” Siasar explained.
Siasar also appealed to media outlets to help in the information drive.
“Maong akong gihangyo ang media, nga if pwede maapil sa inyong Corporate Responsibility nga maapil sa plugging sa inyong station nga pag-awhag sa mga ginikanan nga dad-on ang ilang mga anak ug magsanong sa panawagan sa DOH thru CHD nga ang atong target 90 thousand sa entire Cebu City.”
Province-wide, the DOH Central Visayas is aiming for 95 percent coverage in Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental and Siquijor to prevent outbreaks.
Archival reminded parents that vaccination is a responsibility.
“Ako, ang inyong mayor, nagpadumdum nga ang pagpabakuna usa ka responsibilidad sa matag ginikanan. Padayon ang hulga sa measles ug rubella apan mapugngan kini sa luwas ug epektibong bakuna. Dalha ang inyong mga anak nga nag-eded ug 6 hangtud sa 59 ka bulan sa inyong pinakaduol nga vaccination site aron inyong ma-pabakuna,” he said.
He echoed the DOH’s message: “Bakuna og proteksyon ni baby, atong responsibilidad. Kay ang batang bakunado, siguradong protektado.”
Measles, or rubella, is one of the most contagious viral diseases and is spread through coughing, sneezing or contaminated surfaces.
Symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose, red eyes and rash, with complications ranging from pneumonia to encephalitis.
Rubella, or German measles, is generally mild in children but poses serious risks during pregnancy. Infection during the first trimester carries a high risk of congenital rubella syndrome, which can cause deafness, cataracts and heart disease in newborns.
The DOH has emphasized that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is safe and effective, with two doses recommended for full immunity. — /FPL (FREEMAN)
- Latest



















